Rock Lead Vocals mix

Hello Tchad,
I’m currently mixing a rock song and everything is working really well. The only thing that doesn’t really come through are the lead vocals.
Do you have a tip for me as to how I can make the vocals sound really aggressive and fat?
Thanks for your answer

Best regards
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Ivan,
There are many different ways depending on the track and the vocal so without hearing all I can do is take a shot in the dark in hopes that it could help on your current project.
Often in rock when the track is fa and loud vocals can sound weak and thin by comparison so what I try to do is bring up the chest voice or try to simulate the chest sound.
One way is with SoundToys DevilLoc. To start:
Set Crush to 0.
Set Crunch to 3.
Fast release.
Darkness to 7 or???
Mix to taste. Doesn’t take much. Somewhere between .05-2 is where I usually end up. Bring crush up a bit if you need to. Experiment!
If you don’t have a DevilLoc, let me know what it is you have and I’ll come up with something to try.
t

6 Likes

Hello Tchad,

Thank you for your quick response.
I don’t have Devil Loc. I have the following plugins available:
Decapitator, Saturn, Spectre and softube harmonics.

Best regards
Ivan

1 Like

Try Decapitator. Create a lo freq very dull, slightly distorted setting using the vocal then take the Decapitator mix down to zero. Play the full track with vocal and mix the lo dist. to taste. A little goes a long way.
(Do this with an pre/aux send to the Decapitator if you think the lo dist. needs compression.)

t

2 Likes

Hello Tchad,

I’ll try that out. Thanks for your time and reply.

Best regards Ivan

1 Like