Creating a production with contrast

Hi Illangelo,

Firstly thank you for the MWTM videos you have done. They’re inspiring and it’s great to see a mixture of tracks to build a picture of how you work!

When watching your videos I love seeing how your approach seems to have been similar even between the years of ‘Crew Love’ to ‘After Hours’ which is to create something fresh and interesting often with lots of attention to the nuances.

My question is; do you keep fairly strict rules for allowing a song to have growth and change? You are often adjusting the width, low end, top end, reverbs etc. I sometimes find I’ll have a track and I love it but I’m not editing the parameters much throughout the track. The track sounds how I want but the synths cutoff doesn’t change at all, bvs are added as the song develops but the reverb might stay the same or the low end in the synths is the same at chorus 1 to chorus 3. Do you find that even when you enjoy how a track sounds you will still want to make these adjustments (verbs, low end etc) to make sure the song has growth and contrast? Or, is this not something you worry about if it feels good?

I look forward to hopefully more videos!

Thank you!

1 Like

I aim for dynamic songs with builds and breakdowns, making every moment special. I adapt as the music progresses, always moving forward to keep the listener engaged. Throughout, I trust my gut—it must feel good. Collaboration provides valuable feedback, helping create unique pieces. The key is treating every moment as unique and following your instincts.

2 Likes