ISP and true peak limiting

Hi Randy

Thank you for doing this again!

Do you care about inter sample peaks and do you use true peak limiters?

Again thank you for your time!

All the best
Bari

1 Like

Hi Bari,

My pleasure. I haven’t found true peak limiting to sound good on most sources. I always go with what I think sounds best regardless of inter sample/true peak content.

Best Regards,

Randy

2 Likes

Thank you for the swift response Randy!

Same here!

All the best
Bari

Do you compensate for ISP when setting final output/ceiling level?

Along those lines, is it a part of your workflow to upsample while processing and resample for delivery?

My anxiety around ISP is real.

Appreciate you, thank you.

e

1 Like

Hi Elisa,

I tend to not compensate for ISP’s when setting the output/ceiling level. I’m mostly balancing the limiter output and input levels for best feel, rather than having a stock -0.1, -0.2 etc. ceiling all the time. If a client ends up having an issue with ISP’s, I will revise it and make sure it passes w/o them, but generally I don’t have much issue with clients coming back for that type of change.
I tend to master everything at the native sample rate and resample afterwards if needed for the different delivery requirements. For an album of multiple sample rates, I usually go with the sample rate of the majority of the songs. If it’s a mix of 44.1, 48k and 96k, I might go with 48k since it’s a middle ground and the difference between 44.1 and 48k is small. I avoid up-sampling 48k to 96k for delivery as it can be easily discovered to be a fake 96k file using a consumer app like Spectro or another equivalent. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Randy

1 Like

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

Ps you’re my hero.

1 Like