What non technical preparations do you do before a session?

You seem to be full of great ideas on how to make things interesting both for yourself and the artists you work with. I’m curious if you prepare in any way besides what gear to use etc.

1 Like

I’ll add to this - what sort of non-technical things do you think are important or frequently overlooked when prepping for artists?

Hi!
This is another really great question!

There are so many things I like to start talking about long before we walk into a studio and it definitely varies for album to album. All the preparation essentially gears everyone up to have an enjoyable experience once we are in the studio as it helps focus the ideas and makes sure everyone is on the same page…
An example of a question I will ask is: “What do we want this album to ‘look’ like?” - this starts conversations on imagery and sonic palette.
Then I like to talk about what the songs are about or how they should feel and how do we achieve that through performance and the sonic choices.

Pre production in a rehearsal space is usually where we discover the specifics of these so by the time we get into the studio the overarching picture is figured out and leaves room for the detail and fun happy accidents and experimentation that can happen when you’re all in a room together that adds another layer to the experience.

All the prep also helps me to start thinking about what fun toys we can use on the record whether it’s a particular pedal or outboard or microphone. All aiming to create the strongest identity for the album.

2 Likes